At RenoVista Construction, we pride ourselves on delivering innovative and high-quality projects. One of our recent endeavors involved the installation of a unique spiral staircase on a deck, and we’re thrilled to share the details of this exciting project with you!
The project’s centerpiece was a spiral staircase system made by Paragon Stairs. While the system itself is designed for ease of installation, we faced a few challenges along the way. The railing, for instance, was particularly tricky. Initially, it came in a spool, and we accidentally bent it the wrong way. However, with some adjustments, we managed to get it right, making the railing the most challenging yet rewarding part of the project.
Customization with Deck Boards
One of the standout features of this project was the customization of the stair treads. Instead of using the pre-made treads that typically come with the system, we opted to match the deck boards. This customization added an extra layer of complexity but resulted in a seamless and cohesive look that perfectly matched the existing deck.
The installation process involved several key steps:
- Setting up the Center Column: This is the foundational piece upon which the entire staircase is built. It’s crucial to get this right to ensure the stability and safety of the stairs.
- Uncoiling the Railing: As mentioned earlier, this was the trickiest part. It’s essential to bend the railing correctly to ensure it fits perfectly.
- Installing the Front Balusters: These provide additional support and structure to the staircase.
- Adding the Center Balusters: These are crucial for stability and need to be cut precisely.
- Fitting the Treads: We took extra care here, especially since we were using custom deck boards. Each tread had to be modified and pre-drilled to fit perfectly.
- Final Touches: After all the main components were in place, we made final adjustments to ensure everything was secure and looked great.
In total, the project took about 32 hours to complete. This included additional tasks like creating a concrete form to support the staircase, especially important given the frost line in New England.
We’re incredibly proud of how this project turned out. It’s a testament to our team’s dedication, skill, and attention to detail. If you’re interested in seeing the project in action, check out our video on YouTube.
For any questions or if you’re considering a similar project, don’t hesitate to reach out. You can contact Josh, our general contractor, at Josh@RenoVistaConstruction.com.
Thank you for choosing RenoVista Construction for your building needs!